In this article we will understand what is a modular staircase? What are their types, installation features, we will provide recommendations and instructions for manufacture and installation.
It is not difficult to guess that such a staircase consists of parts that are built and fixed on each other. Bearing elements are beams that are also unite from modules. It is use as an interfloor, when the height between them is not more than three and a half meters (for private houses and multi-level apartments).
Metal modular staircase is quite easy to install. People without special building skills can install it in no more than 5 hours. The Italian development of this design emerged at the end of the last century as an alternative not only as antimassive, but also cheaper.
The best qualities of a modular staircase are:
- varieties, design styles, colors of stairs and materials for steps;
- any interior decoration and addition;
- the minimum area occupied;
- simple assembly and disassembly;
- height-adjustable modules – you can always correct your own calculation errors;
- combination of hardness wood + metal;
- independent, simple repairs due to ease of installation – quick replacement of modules and components.
There are also disadvantages that arise after installation of modular staircase:
- lowering of the stairs / stairs (there is a need to install a retaining structure on 4-5 modules, which negatively affects the aesthetics).
Modular staircase deficiency
Modular stairs are not without flaws. First of all, the modular design is inferior to all-welded models in its strength characteristics. All prefabricated joints will gradually become loose, so the owner must regularly monitor the quality of the structure and tighten the joints.
The second big drawback of a modular staircase is the high cost of ready-made kits. However, we offer you instructions for independent mounting of the structure, so this drawback is irrelevant. The main thing is that the source material is of high quality.
Before starting the arrangement of the staircase, choose a suitable design option for the modular type. There are several types of modular stairs:
- line up. The usual straight design with the simplest wide steps. It is very comfortable to use and reliable, but rather thick and not solid;
- screw. They occupy a minimum of space, but are inconvenient in terms of operations such as staircase staircases;
- rotate by platform. They take up relatively little space and are quite comfortable. Has 2 or more parades with medium headlands.
Staircase assembly options
There are several methods for assembling a staircase module. Each of the existing options is define by its strengths and weaknesses, which you need to know before starting to work on the self-assembly of the modular type staircase.
“Module to module”
Kosour can be unite using the “module into module” method with additional fastening using a fixing plate and screws. However, this is the first generation of such stairs with many disadvantages, including:
- Very limited steps. This step cannot alter;
- some curvature of the assembly structure. It is impossible to get rid of this defect even by tightening the screws;
- relatively low endurance. Over time, the mounting plate begins to bend independently, which leads to loosening of the entire structure and causes additional discomfort.
- The only advantages of this option are high speed and extreme ease of assembly.
This method involves using threaded rods in the assembly process. Such a staircase does not have the characteristic drawbacks of the previous design, however, installation with mix rods is rather difficult. The height of the steps still cannot be alter. Every 1-2 years it will be necessary to tighten the loose threaded connection, and this also causes a lot of problems.
According to the clamp principle
This is a new generation of stairs. Especially among the main advantages of this option, it should be noted the possibility of changing the length of the steps and the distance between the elements. Modules and flanges can be used. The load distribution on the fasteners is adjusted according to the improved technology – the joints do not break over time.
Each of the above staircases can be assembled using bolts – these are the basic fasteners that are installed between each step and help increase the rigidity and reliability of the structure. Most often, bolts were used in the stairs of the last generation.
Read also :
- 7 L-shaped kitchen layout ideas, classic but functional
- 7 Easy Kitchen Decorations Tricks That Will Make You Happy!
- 5 ways to get around a narrow kitchen to stay beautiful and stylish
- 7 Simple Children’s Playroom Inspirations, Your Little One Is Happy Without Draining Pockets
- 9 Kitchen Inspirations with Black Shades that Give a Luxury Impression
To keep your modular staircase as long as possible without complaints, keep the following tips in mind:
- vertical supports should be installed on pre-flood concrete pads. They will perform foundation functions;
- the staircase should only be connected to a modal wall with a thickness of 20-25 cm;
- when installing a modular staircase on a wooden floor, the logs must first be reinforced with the help of cross bars.